Sunday, January 02, 2005

i'd say i'm back in real loud CAPS
act like i think you care
but why pretend? We are not friends
Let's lay it on the table. There.





A little bit of healthy cynicism to tide us all over into the fresh, wonderful, glowing opportunity that is 2005, right?
But no. We should be cautiously optimistic at all times =)


I havent quite been creating new works of literature (i.e. my blog posts. Here's a bucket) as much as i'd like to. But then, that seems to be the general trend amongst the blogs I deign to read (the only update i've spotted recently was Joyce's, on the joys (pun absolutely intended :D) of having the old and unfortunately-not-disabled around the house), so i guess my subconcious is just keeping me a trendy sorta guy.

Right?



moving along from that embarrassing and sudden onset of silence... i figured its a good thing to draw up a list of the things i'm grateful for for 2004. (dont you just hate it when that happens? i toyed with the idea of "grateful for regarding 2004" but that's so obviously an attempt to evade the awful eventuality known as "for for" so i decided against it) so let's just get to it, shall we?


1) I think its fair to say one of the best things in '04 was the forging of fantastic friendships, which mean more than words can say to me. *and those of you who know me for the garrulous, overly verbose, noisy and all-around-loud motherfucker that i am will realise how much it means when i say i cant express myself. Its not quite appropriate to mention names, because i dont want people to feel left out. But there are a few of you, a select group of which mean the world to me. How often do you discover a t**n anyway? and against all the odds you could possibly think of, too.


2) Some may think its selfish to say this, but I dont. I'm grateful no-one i know was taken away by the tsunamis. Now before you say "you heartless bastard" (the possible truth of which i wont try to deny) just think about it: aren't you, too, grateful? My heart goes out to those affected, directly, indirectly or vicariously. But i'm glad God didnt sweep anyone i love away.


3) I'm grateful for the discovery that I love the experience of being a student. If i had my way, i'd stay a learner for all my life. There's something i absolutely adore about learning, continuously and continually, and about the attempt to present good work to a teacher. The debates in class, the efforts to contest a point, the absorbing of information...these and more possess a lure which i only grew aware of this year. And it's an important revelation.


4) I'm grateful for the discovery (i mustn't overuse that word! maybe if i spell it wrong the daft ones amongst you will think its a synonym. "I'm greatful for.....") that i love writing, and that there actually are people out there who aren't overcome with a burning desire to destroy all my prose. I've realised i really enjoy just spilling words: be they in the form of prose, verse or that curious in-between thing i seem to do so much which some find disconcerting (but refreshing - or so they say), enough to be seriously considering taking Literature in uni (to think i thought my lit teacher in sec school was insane for doing that! The irony is Shakespearean). Its also been very encouraging to have been told by others who's opinions i value that they think i write well. Being told that my work intimidates aspiring writers, because they feel they can never match my stuff, is really rather flattering (but to be honest, slightly untrue. but you didnt hear that here!). the discovery that there are untold numbers out there who read my blog without me knowing is also delightful. you dont read what you dont like right?

although everyone seems to agree my blogskin SUCKS. =) duly noted.


5) I'm thankful for teachers who didnt give up, no matter what some of the cohort might say. Sure, we had Miss Jean Yeow-"I could have been a rocket scientist. President Clinton offered me a scholarship" and the like, but then there were teachers like Rajoo-"A man without a moustache is like a tiger without stripes" who were always positive - except for the times when they were quietly, but extremely, negative, creating utter hilarity. These teachers kept us - me, at least - sane, kept us going, and gave us more fucking chances then any of us deserved. My biggest thanks goes to Mr Rajoo, and Mr David Fahy, the former for being a great form teacher, and the latter for never giving up on me, despite all my jaunts. Mr Jason Liew (Lieu? "T Three!") for whipping my lazy ass into shape, also. And Ms Ho, that veritable saint; she deserves my eternal gratitude simply because she never gutted me like the absolute pig i was =)


6) I'm grateful (theres that damn word again) for the many fantastic books i read/re-read/flipped thru to select mind-blowing segments. I recommend, above and beyond any book known to mankind, the Dune series. I'm reading it for the 3rd time in three years - it IS that good. I mean the original 6 by Frank Herbert...the latter-day books by his son are puerile. Other authors my thanks goes out to: Douglas Adams (RIP), Rupert Morgan, James Morrows, Robert Jordan, Raymond E. Feist (oldies are goodies), John Ronald Reuel Tolkien (just showing off there :D), his son Christopher for the History of Middle-Earth (!!!), DBC Pierre for Vernon God Little, Magaret Atwood for Oryx and Crake, Guy Gavriel Kay for Sailing to Sarantium - a jewel amongst books beyond measure, Hermann Hesse for being a thought-provoking genius, Kafka for providing comic relief (strange but true!), Tom Sharpe, PG Wodehouse and Terry Pratchett (ditto) and all the other brilliant authors whose works have enriched my mind over the past year.



7) Lastly, I'm grateful beyond measure for Jacq. i continually feel like i have been blessed beyond all measure. =) at this point i dissolve into a stupidly senseless pile of goo on the floor, being rendered incapable of speech. please refer to * above :)






Happy New Year!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home